September 24, 2014

What I Packed For The Hospital ~ For Baby ~

Currently I am 38 weeks pregnant, and so far everything is going well. I'm still considered high risk but my midwife, obstetrician and maternity physician are all safely saying I will make it to 40 weeks. While this is great news, I have decided to go with the 'what if he comes early scenario?' so the second step after making sure we have everything ready in his nursery is to pack for the hospital. (I have been officially packed for baby since I was approx 30 weeks).

Unlike when it came to deciding what to pack for myself, I did not use google or blog posts or forums to decide what to pack for baby. Instead I used the knowledge of my mother :) She has been there done that twice now so she has some experience when it comes to this kinda stuff.

On her recommendations, below is everything that I have packed to take with me for baby to the hospital, remember everyone is different and different hospitals supply different things. Leave a comment below letting me know what you took, or are taking.

Wrap - Just a basic cotton wrap that I was given by a friend at our baby shower. This can be used to wrap baby, as a light weight blanket or a nursing cover the possibilities are endless.
Blanket - I have packed a heavier blanket just in case extra warmth is needed, although they do like to keep the maternity ward at my hospital quite warm for all the little newborns. It may come in hand when transporting baby home though.
Wipes - My hospital does not supply wipes while you are there. I am taking a small packet of generic baby wipes.
Nail Clippers  - I read somewhere online that taking nail clippers with you can be a good idea as some babies can be born with quite long nails and the hospital will not cut them for you.
Nappy Cream - I am taking Bepanthan. This cream doubles as both my nappy cream and my nipple cream.
Flat Nappy - This is an 'old school' style flat nappy. These can be so handy for all sorts of different things - burp cloths, wraps, blankets.
Dummy - Obviously we don't know if our little baby will like dummies (pacifiers) or if they're a thumb sucker or if they just don't prefer anything. But I figured it wouldn't hurt to take one with us just in case, better to have it and not need it then need it and not have it.
Nappies - My hospital does supply disposable nappies while we are there. I am taking 3 disposable nappies with me, these are mainly for our trip home from the hospital you never know what might happen. We do plan on using cloth nappies once we are home and have the hang of the whole parenting and baby thing.
Layette Stuff - hats, mittens, gowns, onesies, cardigan, socks, booties

Going Home Outfit - I will be getting my husband to bring in one of two going home outfits we have chosen once the time comes. We chose two outfits in two different sizes to be baby's coming home outfit, once we have an idea of baby's size, the Hubby will bring in the appropriate one once its time to go home. This means that I will not be carting things into the hospital when I'm in labour that I do not need until a later date.
Car Seat - We have decided to not use a capsule for baby and instead have opted for a convertible car seat. This is mainly for safety reasons (capsules have been found to be unsafe for babies for long periods of time, they can also lead to 'lazy parenting' whereby baby is not handled enough by parents) and also for savings, a convertible car seat will last us longer. The car seat will be installed in my car, which is also to be the family car, ready for when baby can come home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...